Can I get a domestic violence protection order?

Domestic violence protection orders are orders that are specifically designed for people who have been abused by someone they either had a relationship with or who they are related to.

1. You must have a certain type of relationship with the abuser

  • Former or current dating relationship
  • Former or current spouse
  • Parent of a child in common
  • Former or current cohabitant as an intimate partner, including former or current registered domestic partner
  • Stepparent or stepchild
  • Current or former cohabitant as roommate
  • In-law
  • Parent or child
  • Blood relation other than parent or child

*The Protection Order Advocates are only able to assist on the cases underlined above. If you wish to file and you have a relationship that fall ourside of those we assist with - please go to W378 in the KC Courthouse or 2-C in the Maleng Regional Justice Center.

2. You must be experiencing domestic violence as the law defines it:

“Domestic violence” (RCW 26.50) means physical harm, bodily injury, assault, including sexual assault, stalking (RCW 9A.46.110) OR inflicting fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury or assault between family or household members.

PLEASE NOTE: Some acts of domestic violence such as verbal abuse, emotional abuse, and financial abuse may not match the legal definition of domestic violence, but it can still be and feel abusive. If you are experiencing any type of domestic violence, consider contacting a domestic violence crisis linefor information and support.

For more information about protection order eligibility or to explore whether filing for a protection order is right for you, contact the Protection Order Advocacy Program.